Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Classroom Management

This school year I have the honor of being a leader for co-hort group of new science teachers. We have had a few meeting this year and yesterday's topic was classroom management. Your first year of teaching everything rides on how well you manage; one simply cannot teach if you cannot manage your classroom. It can be terrifyingly stressful for a newbie if it doesn't come naturally, and it doesn't for most. I have heard statistics such as 1/3 of new teachers will leave the profession within 5 years and often the reason cited is they couldn't pick up on the management aspect. Unfortunately it's not something that is taught in most education programs at the college level, often you learn from experience.
I had a really tough first year, I started in the January after a few teachers had already ditched my position, was on a team with all brand new teachers and I had zero experience with middle school. I worked my butt off but most of the time the kids would not listen to me.  It was devastating to me. I started the next year strong and really have just gotten more comfortable and as a result better with management year by year.
Here was my words of wisdom to the co-hort.

1. Focus on the positive. In the school I work in we follow PBIS, it stands for positive behavior intervention supports. That means focus on the good kids and try (as long as they are not doing anything really bad) to ignore the bad kids. Example- This morning I asked three times for my students to take their notebooks out, looking around I saw only one kid followed my instructions. Instead of getting upset, I said "I like the way Mary followed instructions". Everyone stops, looks at Mary, takes out their notebooks. Mary is rewarded with praise for doing the right thing. Everyone else is ready to start class. Win-win!

2. Sweat the small stuff-or don't, but pick a side. I'm on the don't side, probably because I teach seventh grade. Let me explain- either you can be really strict (sweating) or learn to ignore behaviors as long as they don't break any major rules. Pick a side and stick to it, or else you will confuse your students.

3. Get the parents on your side. Good tip- during the first week of school try to call home (if you teach upper grades try to enlist your team and each take a class) and just welcome them and ask if they had any questions or concerns. That way when you have to call for a disciplinary issue or because Johnny is failing the parent doesn't always associate you with negativity and in general they are more apt to work with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment