Sunday, March 17, 2013

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Ahhh- St. Patrick's Day, when everyone who has a drop of Irish blood in them insists on eating corned beef (although there is still debate on whether the Irish really eat it all that much) and drinking Guinness. While I certainly look Irish (my students tell me all the time) I can only say that it makes up about 25% of my ancestry. Sadly, I must confess, I'm not a big fan of corned beef and Guinness. I'm more of a Shock Top and turkey sandwich kind of girl. I realize that's not going to sit well with the Irish readers, so keep reading.
So last week I decided that I was going to try to make corned beef more appetizing for myself. I also decided that because I am a busy teacher with lots to do that it needed to be made in the crock-pot. However, I could not find a recipe on-line that 1.) was made in the crockpot and 2.) had ingredients that were in my pantry. So I decided I would improvise, and for one of the few times in my life, it worked!

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

1 small corned beef brisket (about 2 pounds)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup dijon mustard
2 tablespoons brown sugar

1. Trim excess fat off corned beef.
2. Boil the corned beef for a few minutes to cut down the saltiness (if you enjoy the saltiness of this meat, then I would say omit this step)
3. Mix honey, dijon mustard and brown sugar together.
4. Place corned beef in crock pot, if it came with a packet of seasoning throw that in also.
5. Pour mixture of honey, mustard and brown sugar over beef.
6. Cook on low for 7-8 hours, high 4.



I forgot an "after" photo, but I was very good. Falls apart on it's own and great for sandwich making.

Slainte!






2 comments: